Silky, shiny, and soft hair that you can effortlessly run your fingers through is every girl’s dream. A healthy and lustrous mane is also a sign of good health and intensifies the beauty of every woman. Due to constant exposure to environmental pollution, stress, hard water, and heat our hair pays a heavy price for it. If proper care is not taken it becomes unhealthy and often appears dry, dull and limp. Unhealthy hair lacks a glossy shine and is more prone to breakage. There are a number of easy tricks that you can try at home to get soft and glistening strands without spending a penny in the salon. Below we have created a few such remedies to give you the naturally smooth and silky hair that you desire:
Natural Remedies for Soft Hair
Here are a few natural remedies that you can use that are highly effective:
1. Deep Condition with Eggs
One of the most common tips to get soft hair is eggs. Eggs are rich in proteins, lecithin, and fatty acids, they add shine and moisture to your hair and strengthen your strands. A good egg hair mask with a combination of olive oil and honey can do wonders to your hair. If used about once every week for a month it will give you naturally soft and shiny hair.
How to do it:
- Beat the white yolk of 2 eggs in a bowl.
- Mix a tablespoon of olive oil and honey until it forms a thick paste.
- Coat your hair with the paste and keep it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
2. Coconut Oil Massage
Organic or unrefined coconut oil is a boon for your hair as it soaks into your hair. The scalp is already gifted with natural oils, so while using coconut oil it is important to concentrate more on the tips of your strands in order to condition them.
How to do it:
- Apply coconut oil starting from the ends then up. The amount used will depend on the thickness and length of your hair. Oily hair and scalp will need less, drier hair will need more.
- Rinse your hair with plain warm water.
- Wrap your hair in a shower cap or towel so that your hair can soak up the coconut oil.
- Let it stay for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and conditioner.
3. Deep Treatment with Curd
Curd has anti fungal properties and anti frizz properties that make it perfect for conditioning and nourishing your hair. The combination of curd and castor oil creates an absolutely wonderful hair mask. It gives the required proteins to your hair and tames hair damage and split ends.
How to do it:
- Take a bowl of curd and whisk it nicely.
- Add 3 tablespoons of castor oil into it.
- Apply this hair mask onto the hair and the ends of the strands.
- Keep the pack for 45 minutes.
- Wash your hair using a mild or herbal shampoo.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar as Conditioner
Apple cider vinegar is a fabulous hair conditioner that can make your hair soft, shiny and moisturized. It helps remove built up residue that makes your hair look dull and lifeless. It is also an effective germ killer and treats dandruff, itchy scalp, and frizzy hair.
How to do it:
- Shampoo your hair with your usual shampoo and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Mix 2 cups of apple cider vinegar with one cup of water and rinse your hair carefully with the mix.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the vinegar from your hair with cold water.
- Repeat this process every once a week to get soft and shiny hair.
5. Treatment with Aloe Vera and Honey
Aloe vera is rich in amino acids and proteins which are a boon for healthy soft hair. It cleans, nourishes, protects your hair from damage and gives it a smooth and glossy texture. It keeps your hair hydrated, moisturized and eliminates dandruff. Aloe vera gel is readily available in the market or you can obtain it naturally from the plant. Honey adds shine to your hair.
How to do it:
- Mix equal parts of aloe vera gel and honey.
- Massage the mixture thoroughly through your hair.
- Leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse out with shampoo and conditioner.
Things to Keep in Mind to Get Silky and Soft Hair
- Always wash your hair with cold water. Warm water makes the hair cuticle open thus making it frizzy. Cold water makes the hair cuticle close up and encourages your individual strands to stay flat.
- After rinsing your hair don’t rub it vigorously with a towel, it can cause breakage and also encourages frizz. Instead, use your towel to blot away the water from your hair strands.
- Avoid using blow dryers and other heating tools on your hair. Give your hair a break and let it air dry. If you must use any heat styling tool make sure to protect your hair using a heat protectant hair serum.
- Regular trims are key for smooth strands. They help to keep damaged and split ends at bay, making your hair look more healthy and lustrous.
- Use only wide tooth combs on damp hair to detangle and avoid breakage of hair.
- Don’t over shampoo your hair. Over shampooing can strip your hair of its natural oils, which gives it shine and prevents damage. Shampooing 2 times a week is said to be ideal to keep your hair in a good state.
- Use a satin pillowcase rather than a cotton one to keep your strands smooth and avoid damage.
- Use shampoos and conditioners that are sulfate and silicone free. Sulfate makes hair brittle and dry. You can opt for herbal shampoos because they contain fewer chemicals and high natural extracts.